[Accountability-dt] Call tomorrow? And Frankfurt meeting

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Sun Nov 23 21:58:35 UTC 2014

Hi all

Could someone confirm that we have a call tomorrow - its has appeared in
my calendar and wanted to make sure.

As you are aware the CWG IANA transition for the names community met in
Frankfurt this past week.  Progress was made on a new strawman that can
be seen in the attached.  Couple of points:  1) the flow charts are
illustrative; 2) the strawman and the various entities have not been
agreed - they are for discussion - and much of the critical detail is
missing from the model largely due to a lack of time.

Of particular interest to this group was the discussion around
accountability generally.  Frankly we did not address it in sufficient
detail again largely for a lack of time.  When it did come up it became
clear that there were differing interpretations of the linkages between
the IANA transition work and the accountability track.  There were also
differing views of the degree of accountability and external oversight
needed.   We talked about the need to address the issue of stewardship
and to have placeholders in the WG proposal for inputs from the
accountability track but these were not explored in any further detail.
It was therefore understandable that there were concerns expressed at
the end of the meeting that the group had not addressed accountability
sufficiently and that we were at risk of losing an opportunity to
realize the interdependencies.

I am not sure what we as the drafting team can do about this but thought
we may want to discuss further if we are having a call in the near future.

Matthew

--
Matthew Shears
Director - Global Internet Policy and Human Rights
mshears at cdt.org
+ 44 771 247 2987