[Accred-Model] Version 1.6 of the Accreditation and Access Model

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Jun 19 17:32:15 UTC 2018

> It's great when there is actually an easy solution.  At least for the many US
> companies, law firms, cybersecurity firms, and others (and this a huge part
> of the group seeking access), they should "self-certify" to the EU-US Privacy
> Shield, via procedures set up by the US Department of Commerce and Federal
> Trade Commission.

Well, at least until the EU courts kill privacy shield like they did Safe
Harbor.

Banks and non-profits such as CAUCE are not eligible for Privacy Shield
(they're not regulated by the FTC or DOT.)  For small organizations the PS
rules are extremely conplex and there's a mandatory annual payment to
cover potential arbitration costs.

Can we back up and explain what problem this overcomplex "solution" is
supposed to be solving here?

Regards,