[APRALO-Policy] ICANN Board Call for Comments to Phase 1 Final Report of the EPDP on Internationalized Domain Names

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 13:53:30 UTC 2024

Dear APRALO Policy Forum Members,

*RE: ICANN Board Call for Comments to Phase 1 Final Report of the EPDP on
Internationalized Domain Names
<https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/phase-1-final-report-of-the-epdp-on-internationalized-domain-names-23-01-2024>*,
closes 12 March 2024

As IDNs fall under APRALO's Priority-2B (see list of priorities at the APF
wiki page <https://community.icann.org/display/APRALO/APRALO+Policy+Forum>),
the APRALO Leadership Team is keen to develop a comment in response to the
ICANN Board's call for comments to the Phase 1 Final Report of the EPDP on
IDNs.

APRALO ALAC Member* Satish Babu* has offered to lead this effort, and he is
well placed to do so as he has been actively participating in this EPDP as
one of the ALAC Representatives there.

A Googledoc is being set-up to facilitate collaborative work for the
comment and I will let Satish communicate with you further on this. Please
do participate in this effort if you have the time and interest in
commenting on policy recommendations for variant management at the top
level.  Specifically, these recommendations focus on the definition and
implications of the Root Zone Label Generation Rules (RZ-LGR) and variant
Generic Top-level Domains (gTLDs) on the New gTLD Program, including
adjustments that may be needed.

However, please note that the ALAC had commented substantially on this
EPDP's Phase 1 Initial Report last year, so we should focus our comments
(if any) on revisions made to produce the Final Report. Note also that the
Final Report has already been approved by the GNSO Council in late December
2023, and it is its subsequent submission to the Board which leads to this
call for comments by the Board.

There will likely be a short, parallel discussion on this same call for
public comments at this week's CPWG call on Wed 7 Feb at 19:00 UTC
<https://community.icann.org/x/HQDrEQ>.

Kind regards,

*Justine Chew*
Chair, *APRALO Policy Forum* <https://community.icann.org/x/TwDQC>