[arabic-vip] IDN Table / language table / Script Table

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Aug 10 12:57:22 UTC 2011

Dear colleagues,

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 05:28:44AM -0700, iftakhar shah wrote:

> "An IDN Table is a table listing all those characters that a particular TLD registry supports. If one or more of these characters are considered a variant this is indicated next to that/those characters. It is also indicated which character a particular character is a variant to. The variant tables usually holds characters representing a specific language, or they can be characters from a specific script. Therefore the variant table is sometimes referred to as 'language variant table', language table', script table' or something similar"
>
> Reference
> http://www.icann.org/en/topics/idn/idn-glossary.htm

In my opnion, one problem with that definition is that it is ambivalent
about whether a table is bound to a language, or to a script.  In the
context of the top level, this may be an extremely important
distinction.

During DNS activities, there is no way to tell the linguistic context
of a lookup.  That is, it is not possible to know what language, if
any, might be relevant to the DNS lookup that is happening.  By
reverse processing of the A-label (recall that only the A-label form
is used in the DNS), it is possible to figure out what script(s) are
contained in the original FQDN in U-label form.  (A DNS lookup
contains the entire name to be looked up.  But IDNA is defined label
by label, and there is no reason to suppose that one label has to be
in the same script as another label; there's not even a requirement in
IDNA that a given label needs to be in a single script, and such a
rule could not be adopted wholesale.)  At a busy cacheing nameserver
or at the root namservers, however, performing the U-label/A-label
transformation on all the labels in every lookup would be unrealistic
for performance reasons.

Therefore, for practical purposes, (1) at the root, any table will
likely need to take into account all languaes using the script(s) in
question, and (2) any plan for handling variants will have to depend
entirely on registration-time rules.

I therefore suggest that, at least for the root case, the ambivalence
in the above definition would need to be addressed.

Best regards,

Andrew

--
Andrew Sullivan