[arabic-vip] Agenda for Conference Call 2

Sarmad Hussain sarmad.hussain at kics.edu.pk
Tue Jul 12 03:37:14 UTC 2011

Thanks Baher.

Dear All,

Let us follow the agenda circulated earlier (re-posted below for
convenience), as we were not able to go through it completely.  We should
close our discussion on 1. And move to other items.

Regards,
Sarmad

1.	Brainstorming requirements/issues related to Arabic variants

What are variants in Arabic script?
A1.1.1 Unicode code points having same shape in at least one of the four
forms (beginning, middle, final and isolated)
A1.1.2 composed and decomposed forms not covered through Unicode which are
exactly same
A1.2.1 Unicode code points have shape similar enough that user will get
confused and accept them equal (causing security threat, e.g. phishing)
A1.2.1.1 similar shapes
A1.2.1.2 similar marks
A1.2.2 composed and decomposed forms same enough to cause user confusion
(causing security threat, e.g. phishing)
A1.3.1 conflating level 2 marks (less significance, higher optionality)
(e.g. fatha)
A1.3.2 conflating level 1 marks  (higher significance, lower optionality)
(e.g. hamza above/below)
A1.3.3 conflating level 0(?) marks  (highest significance, no optionality)
(e.g. double-fatha) (could this be A 2.1?)

Interestingly, it can be argued that A1.3.x is a label level variance
instead of character level variance, which is an interesting concept, but is
not quite similar to A.2 suggested below but somewhere in between A.1 and
A.2, as Arabic writing system (Abjad) works differently in some ways that
Alphabetical systems like Latin.

AX 1.1 There is also label level variance in a few cases, where technically
ZWNJ is licensed by protocol (and should be licensed in spirit) but the
changed shape is so slightly different that it is not perceptible and may
cause security threats (e.g. phishing).
What are other possible requirements/issues/complications?
-	TLD Delegation - delegation vs. blocking vs. reservation - change of
status
-	DNSSEC
-	Registry operations
-	Others?

2.	Outline/format of the report

Option 1
- issues of relevance to ICANN/IANA
- issues of relevance to registries/registrars
- issues of relevance to registrants
- issues of relevance of end-users

Option 2
- What is a variant in Arabic script (see the email below)
- How to represent variants formally (table related issues)
- TLD vs. other level variants in Arabic - what is applicable level wise
- Variant TLD delegation
- Variant TLD registration
- Variant TLD resolution
- Variants and user experience

Others?
3.	Weekly Schedule of work and deliverables
4.	Conference call schedule
5.	Face-to-face meeting
6.	Other items?