[arabic-vip] Singapore

Dr. Sarmad Hussain sarmad at cantab.net
Mon Jun 13 17:11:08 UTC 2011

Dear All,

It was good to have most of you on the call today.  As per our discussion,
here are the five items for the Singapore meeting.  We have two 1.5 hour
slots for this agenda.   This is short time so we may have to skip or cut
short some of the tasks which may take longer discussion and bring them to
the conference calls or online discussion.

1.       Glossary

-          discuss the definitions developed by IDN VIP in the context of
Arabic script

-          identify additional items for glossary relevant to Arabic

2.       Experiences of existing ccTLDs

-          Variant related issues (need volunteers from the team who have
experience in this context)

3.       List known issues (here is an initial list from earlier discussions
at ASIWG and other forums: see Arabic script presentation at
http://svsf40.icann.org/node/22193 for details and examples; please
add/delete/edit/comment)

-          Technical

o   Required  combining marks - extra Unicode normalization

o   Optional combining marks -

o   Same shape in a particular position

o   Similar shape in a particular position

o   Digits

o   Joining characters - ZWNJ

-          User Interface

o   Input method variation

o   Bidirectional rendering issues in applications

o   General rendering issues in applications - writing styles - Naskh vs.
Nastalique, etc.

-          Policy

o   Specification of language table

o   Bundling, blocking, reserving

4.       Deliverables

-          Identify the list of things to do

-          Volunteers for various tasks identified

-          Develop any sub-teams, if needed

5.       Schedule

-          frequency and timings of conference calls

-          schedule of face to face meetings

o   September (or earlier)? Location?

o   October (Senegal) co-located with ICANN 42 (finalize date(s))

Would like to hear comments on these or other items, as we all develop the
agenda for Singapore.

I am also attaching some documents which have been shared on ASIWG lists in
this context in the past (see http://www.asiwg.org/wiki/Main_Page as well).
This is get you familiarized with different issues already identified.
Again please feel free to share any further comments.

Regards,
Sarmad

----

Dr. Sarmad Hussain