[arabic-vip] review of comments to Arabic team report

Behnam Esfahbod behnam at esfahbod.info
Tue Nov 29 05:35:44 UTC 2011

Hi,

2011/11/29 Abdulaziz Al-Zoman <azoman at citc.gov.sa>

> The (original) statement on the report does not reflect the team viewpoint:
>         "ZWNJ is already a CONTEXT character with rules identified (though
> they need to be extended as proposed)."
> This statements may leads to the fact that the CONTEXT rules is resolving
> all the issues and concerns regarding the use of ZWNJ. Which is not.
> So, I added the following statement which is in line with the team's
> recommendations (hence, I did not list the cons or pros):
>        "ZWNJ raises a number of problems to be addressed and resolved
> before it can be adapted at the TLDs."

That part of the statement only refers to a specific part of the comment by
John Klensin (page 7, paragraph 3) where he discusses the Unicode-level
problem with defining a "script" and listing the characters in a script.

Thus, I think the problem is that the statement is not clear enough. I
suggestion adding a sentence saying that this part "is talking about the
using Unicode characters' properties to define the scripts, and DOES NOT
concert security and/or usability issues".

Also, "CONTEXT" is technically not defined anywhere in the documents, so we
should either use "Contextual Rules" or "CONTEXTJ" (both from RFC 5891) to
be more specific.

Thanks,
-Behnam

--