[arabic-vip] review of comments to Arabic team report

Abdulaziz Al-Zoman azoman at citc.gov.sa
Tue Nov 29 05:59:49 UTC 2011

Fare enough … thanks Behnam.

-----------------------------
عبدالعزيز بن حمد الزومان
Abdulaziz H. Al-Zoman

From: behnam at gmail.com [mailto:behnam at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Behnam Esfahbod
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:36 AM
To: Abdulaziz Al-Zoman
Cc: Siavash Shahshahani; arabic-vip at icann.org
Subject: Re: [arabic-vip] review of comments to Arabic team report

Hi,
2011/11/29 Abdulaziz Al-Zoman <azoman at citc.gov.sa<mailto:azoman at citc.gov.sa>>
The (original) statement on the report does not reflect the team viewpoint:
       "ZWNJ is already a CONTEXT character with rules identified (though they need to be extended as proposed)."
This statements may leads to the fact that the CONTEXT rules is resolving all the issues and concerns regarding the use of ZWNJ. Which is not.
So, I added the following statement which is in line with the team's recommendations (hence, I did not list the cons or pros):
       "ZWNJ raises a number of problems to be addressed and resolved before it can be adapted at the TLDs."

That part of the statement only refers to a specific part of the comment by John Klensin (page 7, paragraph 3) where he discusses the Unicode-level problem with defining a "script" and listing the characters in a script.

Thus, I think the problem is that the statement is not clear enough. I suggestion adding a sentence saying that this part "is talking about the using Unicode characters' properties to define the scripts, and DOES NOT concert security and/or usability issues".

Also, "CONTEXT" is technically not defined anywhere in the documents, so we should either use "Contextual Rules" or "CONTEXTJ" (both from RFC 5891) to be more specific.

Thanks,
-Behnam

--
    '     بهنام اسفهبد
    '     Behnam Esfahbod

Disclaimer:
This message and its attachment, if any, are confidential and may contain legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender immediately and delete this message and its attachment, if any, from your
system. You should not copy this message or disclose its contents to any other
person or use it for any purpose. Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail
are those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Communications
and Information Technology Commission (CITC). CITC accepts no liability for damage
caused by this email.