[arabic-vip] version 0.8 (wasRe: Arabic Script Issues Document Ver 0.7)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Oct 3 22:00:29 UTC 2011

Dear colleagues,

I looked at version -08.  I've attached some comments.

The most serious are these:

    1.  I caught an issue near the end of section 6, number 1, where
    it talks about the characters being "composed" under the Unicode
    rules.  This isn't quite right.  I'm not exactly sure how to fix
    this, so I couldn't suggest any text, but the issue is roughly as
    follows.  The basic rule is that the candidate string to be a
    U-label needs to be in NFC form.  NFC, which is a kind of
    normalization, is often _not_ the composed form of the characters.
    This is because early forms of Unicode might have encoded the
    character by using multiple code points, because the precomposed
    form of the character was not available.  The idea is that, if you
    get a string from Unicode version 9000, you will still be able to
    compare its NFC form with Unicode version 3, because the string
    under Unicode version 9000 when run through NFC will produce
    exactly what would have been typed under version 3 (modulo
    characters that simply couldn't be written in version 3).

    So, there are two problems.  First, this text should not be
    talking about "composed", but rather the "normalized" form.  This
    is a detail.  The problem I see is that I still don't understand
    well enough the use of the combining marks that are recommended
    not to be allowed in this document.  If any of those combining
    marks are part of the results of NFC processing, then when the
    U-label is submitted to ICANN it is going to fail the test for
    those combining marks, and the label will be rejected.

    Sorry for not realizing/explaining this earlier (I think it was
    underlying what I was trying to get at in the discussion we had
    very early on about normalization, but I didn't understand
    properly how these things would fit together so I didn't make
    myself clear enough).

    2.  I added a comment to the beginning of section 8 about
    emphasising the ways that turning variants on or off in the root
    will affect everyone further down the tree.  I don't feel super
    strongly about this, but it would be nice to emphasize the
    importance of this.

    3.  There remain some issues in the definitions that I find a
    little troublesome.

As always, this is all just advice and the team should ultimately
conclude what it wants to do about all these cases.  I'm just
highlighting them in order to try to help the team polish an already
very good report.

Best,

--
Andrew Sullivan