[arabic-vip] [vip] Overarching principles used in Devanagari team report

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Sep 21 15:41:08 UTC 2011

Sorry, this was supposed to be postponed, not sent to the list.  More below.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:19:54AM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> > 2.       The Arabic Script Community is requesting the use of ZWNJ in TLDs
>
> This is something that did not come clear to me in our face to face,
> but I know someone has asked for this on a mailing list.

The code point is currently inconsistent both with the new TLD
guidelines (as I understand them) and draft-liman-tld-names, an
Internet Draft intending to provide guidance about what strings would
be allowed in TLDs.

> > I do like 1.6 (I think Andrew emphasized this as "delegation" in our meeting
> > and it is an important point not very well understood by the community
> > (please correct me if I am wrong here)).

Yes, it's delegation.  Once an NS record is placed on the parent side
of a zone cut, the _child_ side of the zone cut effectively has all
the power over the resulting zone.  That includes the policy for
registration in that zone.

Best regards,

Andrew

--