[arabic-vip] [vip] Overarching principles used in Devanagari team report

Behnam Esfahbod behnam at esfahbod.info
Fri Sep 23 12:42:17 UTC 2011

Andrew, all,

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Andrew Sullivan
<ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:19:54AM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> >
> > > 2.       The Arabic Script Community is requesting the use of ZWNJ in TLDs
> >
> > This is something that did not come clear to me in our face to face,
> > but I know someone has asked for this on a mailing list.
>
> The code point is currently inconsistent both with the new TLD
> guidelines (as I understand them) and draft-liman-tld-names, an
> Internet Draft intending to provide guidance about what strings would
> be allowed in TLDs.

About the "New gTLDs" program, I cannot see how such a decision could
be finalized whilst the IDN VIP teams have not handed over their
reports. If I
recall correctly, we discussed this in our very first couple of
conf-calls and Baher informed us that ICANN expects to finalize the
script-specific issues of the New gTLDs program after IDN VIP
completes its tasks.

And about draft-liman-tld-names. First, it's an Internet-Draft, and
not even an RFC, and (as you know better than us) by definition "It is
inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference material or to cite
them other than as "work in progress."".

Second, as far as I understood from the f2f meeting of the APPWG at
last IETF meeting, the majority of the APPWG agreed that rules 4.2 and
4.3 are not necessary (and are in fact policy issues, not technical
ones) and draft-liman-tld-names, in terms of selecting the characters,
should follow IDNA2008.

I suppose the Devangari team should consider these points and remove
statement 1.4 (on digits, ZWJ and ZWNJ) from the list of postulates to
the list of their recommendations for the respective script.

Regards,
-Behnam

--
    '     بهنام اسفهبد