[arabic-vip] [vip] Overarching principles used in Devanagari team report

Sarmad Hussain sarmad.hussain at kics.edu.pk
Thu Sep 22 05:44:43 UTC 2011

Dear Baher, Andrew, All,

Thanks for your feedback.  We have the following text for ZWNJ in the latest
version of the report on issues:

200C (ZWNJ): Even though there may be some policy to restrict the use of
ZWNJ in the TLDs, the committee felt that due to its critical use in Arabic
script to separate ligatures which end with joining letters, there is a need
for ZWNJ by the community for TLDs (even though there may be limited use at
this time).  Zero Width Non Joiner is needed in domain names in Arabic
script to separate multiple words within a label.

Though there is a defined rule which allows ZWNJ only in contexts where its
effect is visible, there are few contexts which ZWNJ may still not have a
visible impact.  This includes characters U+0637, U+0638 and U+069F.  This
is indicated by the two sequences, one with and one without the ZWNJ:  طب
ط‌ب.  The ZWNJ should not be permitted following these three characters, in
addition to the constraint already put on its use by the IDNA 2008 protocol
(see RFC 5893).

I have requested Baher for links to the audio recordings to re-check this.
However, other members attending the F2F meeting are also requested to
comment so that we can draft this text to correctly reflect what we
finalized.

Regards,
Sarmad