[arabic-vip] [vip] Overarching principles used in Devanagari team report

Siavash Shahshahani shahshah at irnic.ir
Wed Sep 21 18:41:31 UTC 2011

My recolection is similar to Sarmad's. I don't remember that we made a
distinction between the occurrence of ZWNJ in TLD and the subordinate
strings, but I may be wrong. If there's a general ban for the use of ZWNJ
in TLDs, could someone provide a reference?
Siavash

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:44:43 -0700, "Sarmad Hussain"
<sarmad.hussain at kics.edu.pk> wrote:
> Dear Baher, Andrew, All,
>

> Thanks for your feedback.  We have the following text for ZWNJ in the
> latest
> version of the report on issues:
>

> 200C (ZWNJ): Even though there may be some policy to restrict the use of
> ZWNJ in the TLDs, the committee felt that due to its critical use in
Arabic
> script to separate ligatures which end with joining letters, there is a
> need
> for ZWNJ by the community for TLDs (even though there may be limited use
at
> this time).  Zero Width Non Joiner is needed in domain names in Arabic
> script to separate multiple words within a label.
>

> Though there is a defined rule which allows ZWNJ only in contexts where
its
> effect is visible, there are few contexts which ZWNJ may still not have
> visible impact.  This includes characters U+0637, U+0638 and U+069F.
This
> is indicated by the two sequences, one with and one without the ZWNJ:
طب
> ط‌ب.  The ZWNJ should not be permitted following these three characters,
> in
> addition to the constraint already put on its use by the IDNA 2008
protocol
> (see RFC 5893).
>

> I have requested Baher for links to the audio recordings to re-check
this.
> However, other members attending the F2F meeting are also requested to
> comment so that we can draft this text to correctly reflect what we
> finalized.
>

> Regards,
> Sarmad

On
> Behalf Of Baher Esmat
> Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:08 AM
> To: Andrew Sullivan; arabic-vip at icann.org
> Subject: Re: [arabic-vip] [vip] Overarching principles used in
Devanagari
> team report
>

> On 9/21/11 5:19 PM, "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs at crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 07:59:27PM -0700, Sarmad Hussain wrote:
>>
>>> 2.       The Arabic Script Community is requesting the use of ZWNJ in
> TLDs
>>
>> This is something that did not come clear to me in our face to face,
>> but I know someone has asked for this on a mailing list.
>
> It was not that clear to me as well. I recall there was a discussion
about
> this during the f2f meeting but thought that there was no consensus on
the
> necessity to allow ZWNJ at TLD level, and the conclusion was that the
team
> would raise this as an issue in their final report.
>
> Baher
>

>>> I do like 1.6 (I think Andrew emphasized this as "delegation" in our
> meeting
>>> and it is an important point not very well understood by the community
>>> (please correct me if I am wrong here)).
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Sarmad

Of