[arabic-vip] IDN VIP – Arabic Script Case Study Definitions Doc. 19Sep11

Siavash Shahshahani shahshah at irnic.ir
Thu Sep 22 20:25:54 UTC 2011

Hi Manal,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on the Definitions document. I
have attached a copy with some tracked changes. I thought the three
definitions on digits could cause some confusion and tried to rectify that.
In particular you start by referring to two sets of digits in Arabic
script, but from what follows, the reader may get the impression that one
of these is the ASCII set. I tried to make this completely explicit by
giving the code points. I also have the following two problems with the
definition of Label Generating Policy (not covered in the attached):
1. There's a footnote reference (number 19), which does not seem to match:
One is a policy, the other a table.
2. The last sentence in the definition says that all variant labels in
Arabic script are symmetric. Without further explanation, this can be
misleading (and in fact this sentence seems to be extraneous to the task).
The f2f discussions in Qatar showed that you have symmetry IF variance
arises from character variants. On the other hand, if 'variant' is used
globally at the label level(as seems to be the case here), symmetry may not
prevail. For example, you may take any word that begins with alef+fatha and
regard the label without the fatha as its variant, but the reverse is not
necessarily the case. I see no point in having that sentence in the
definition, anyway.
Best regards and thank you for the great effort.
Siavash

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 05:48:40 +0200, "Manal Ismail" <manal at tra.gov.eg>
wrote:
> Dear All ..
>
> Please find attached the Definitions Document .. I do apologize for the
> delay but I have been facing some technical difficulties in sending this
> version through ..
>
> Except for the brand new definitions, all resources are referenced as
> footnotes for definitions that were either copied or modified from
sources
> such as Unicode, RFCs or the Draft Definitions Document circulated by
ICANN