[bylaws-coord] Remaining Questions re CWG punch list

Gregory, Holly holly.gregory at sidley.com
Tue Mar 29 22:04:58 UTC 2016

Dear Jonathan and Lise, and CWG participants in the Bylaws Coordinating Group,

We appreciate the guidance provided on our questions last week from the CWG bylaw drafting session.  We have two outstanding questions from the punch list we re-circulated last week.  We have pasted them below for your convenience.  As you know, our deadline to circulate bylaws is at the end of this week.  We greatly appreciate your attention to this. To expedite matters we have included our recommendation for you to consider.

Question 1. (and 12, 16, 17 &18)  Please confirm GNSO and ccNSO supermajority approval threshold.  Page 1 of CWG Staff’s response chart refers to supermajority voting of the relevant SO, but page 11 of the CWG Staff’s response chart states that the CWG “has agreed to keep the current practices (i.e., simple majority voting) for both the GNSO and ccNSO.” As the proposal specifically contemplates a supermajority vote for material changes to the IANA Functions Contract, the reference to “simple” majority on page 11 of the response chart appears to be an error. (Page 10 of Bylaws matrix); same question in relation to approval of recommendations relating to the IFR relating to the Special IFR and SCWG establishment and the separation process.
Recommendation: Supermajority vote

Question 19. Determine number of days within which ICANN must take all steps reasonably necessary to effect SCWG recommendations: “As promptly as practical (and within [●] [days]) following the SCWG recommendations, or in the event of an SCWG recommendation to initiate a Separation Process, as promptly as practical (and within [●] [days]) following the approval of such recommendation, ICANN shall take all steps reasonably necessary to effect such SCWG recommendations.” (Page 56 of Bylaws Matrix)

Recommendation: 30 days

Holly and Rebecca

HOLLY J. GREGORY
Partner and Co-Chair, Global Corporate Governance & Executive Compensation Practice

SIDLEY AUSTIN LLP
+1 212 839 5853
holly.gregory at sidley.com<mailto:holly.gregory at sidley.com>