[bylaws-coord] Bylaws Finalization process clarification

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Thu May 12 20:18:48 UTC 2016

I think that it is self-evident that this bylaws coordination group is the
group to do that.

It's the only group with the mandate and composition to do so successfully.

If others have a different view, we should probably have a discussion about
that pretty soon.

best
Jordan

On 13 May 2016 at 07:47, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Theresa,
>
> Can you please explain the proposed process for taking the comments and
> deciding what changes will be made to current draft bylaws, and then making
> those changes?  That seems to have been overlooked in your answer.
>
> The purpose of any comment period, including this one, is for the comments
> to be evaluated and for the proposed document to be revised in accordance
> with comments chosen by some body as appropriate to adopt.  Summarizing the
> comments and providing them to the community has little value unless there
> will be a process where some group (including the community's
> representatives) will act upon those comments and change the document
> accordingly.
>
> I look forward to your reply.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Greg Shatan
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Theresa Swinehart <
> theresa.swinehart at icann.org> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> To the communications below -
>>
>> ICANN will be providing a unified summary of the public comments as part
>> of the process to completion (provided by 26 May).  With regards to the
>> bylaw coordination group, we would suggest it is kept in place until the
>> bylaws are adopted by the board in case there are any questions. On the
>> timeline, it remains as set out, with the expectation to transmit the
>> bylaws to NTIA by end of May. We expect the preparation of the summary of
>> the public comments to occur shortly after the completion of the public
>> comments and provided to the community (goal is this to occur from 21-26
>> May). We anticipate the Board to meet shortly after to adopt the new Bylaws
>> (pending no significant changes), and provide confirmation to the NTIA on
>> the adoption of the Bylaws by the end of May.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Theresa
>>

>> From: Cherine Chalaby <cherine.chalaby at icann.org>
>> Date: Thursday, May 12, 2016 4:15 AM
>> To: Mathieu Weill <mathieu.weill at afnic.fr>
>> Cc: "bylaws-coord at icann.org" <bylaws-coord at icann.org>, ACCT-Staff <
>> acct-staff at icann.org>, Theresa Swinehart <theresa.swinehart at icann.org>,
>> Bruce Tonkin <bruce.tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>
>> Subject: Re: [bylaws-coord] Bylaws Finalization process clarification
>>
>> Dear Mathieu,
>> Theresa Swinehart will respond today to all your questions below.
>> Best regards,
>> Cherine
>>
>> On 11 May 2016, at 10:42, Mathieu Weill <mathieu.weill at afnic.fr> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Colleagues,
>>
>> As we finalize the CCWG-Accountability comment regarding the Draft Bylaws
>> some questions have surfaced regarding how these comments will be examined,
>> and what the process moving forward will be. In order to respond to our
>> group (and our lawyers), could the Board or staff leaders share what the
>> process is planned to be, especially :
> [...]

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ *

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob) | Skype: jordancarter
jordan at InternetNZ.net.nz | www.InternetNZ.nz

*A better world through a better Internet*