[cc-humanrights] ICANN Org HRIA + update on community model

Akriti Bopanna akriti at cis-india.org
Mon May 20 14:14:31 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I agree with Collin and Raphaël and just to state a few things I found
lacking as well:

As Collin said, the format is not easily understandable and could have
been cleared, not a lot of information is given on what "relevant"
documents, how many interviews with people or on site visits were done.

Less than half the personnel took the online survey which to me seems
less than ideal to gather a comprehensive idea of the status quo.
Whether these people were from 2-3 main teams or the distribution of how
many ranged across each team or function is also unknown which could
potentially impact the results of the survey.

I would have liked to see more detail of the essentials of the human
rights situation of each country or what they meany by looking into it
instead of a passing reference to the collective situation. It is not
helpful since we can't understand what ICANN has to mitigate with these
situations.

Under the harassment policy, they don't specifically point out the lack
of a anti-sexual harassment policy (I know one is currently being
formulated but it should have been mentioned anyway I think?)

The report reportedly used the phrase “Well-managed and standardized
procurement practices, guidelines and training are in place" without
elaborating on what these policies and practices are within the specific
context. Its hard to gauge the current level then at which ICANN is to
then understand the work it needs to put in to improve.

Just some of thoughts! Please anyone else feel free to add theirs.

Best,

Akriti