[Ccpdp-rm] NOTES ccPDP3-RM session at ICANN74

Joke Braeken joke.braeken at icann.org
Tue Jun 14 13:54:51 UTC 2022

NOTES ccPDP3-RM session at ICANN74
14 June 2022 (13 UTC)

Welcome by Chair Stephen Deerhake
Stephen: no concerns raised during today’s ccNSO Policy Update Session.

Open issues Review Mechanism
Issue 3: setting fees. Who pays for what? The idea of cost needs to be handled seriously, so as not to exclude people. Small ccTLDs, and they should be able to effectively use the mechanism too.

What still needs to be done?
Bart mentions 4 or 5 sessions to do the remaining work. By icann75 we hopefully conclude the full RM in 2nd reading and get ready to present this to the community.
Bart advises to complete the RM by wed, 24 August.
Next meetings: no break mid-August

Doc non-binding mechanism
Bernie talks to the non-binding mechanism doc. Last time we discussed was in April. Starting today at line 326, where we stopped last time.

Nick: decisions to be appealed. Review for procedural correctness, correct?
Bernie: yes. Terminology to be adjusted. Should be “review” everywhere.
Stephen: to be detailed further? Do we want to add details to what the level of cooperation needs to be?
Bernie: issue of what happens if IFO does not follow the policy needs to be added here. Not all decisions which can be reviewed necessarily go to the Board. Transfer request as example. They do not reject requests. We need to cover all angles. If are significant issues, the administrator needs to be able to transmit this directly to the icann CEO. Does not require board approval.
Kim: Just a minor comment for reconciliation later, the IFO is variably described as taking a 'decision' and making a 'recommendation’, should probably be consistent
Bernie: fairness and openness. No need for a legal team to submit an application. Administrator can work with claimant to fix things. e.g. administrative details. We are not looking for options to disallow cases. Maximum amount of help to the potential complainant.
Nigel: previous page.
Peter: Today, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) announced that it has selected Hamburg, Germany, as the location for the ICANN78 Annual General Meeting, which will be held 21–26 October 2023.
Bernie: no system where there is representation. Only major case where we should see that, is for the application of the new ccTLD. In case there are more than 2 applicants for any ccTLD, are rare. But the language is there, it is covered.
Nigel: 2 applicants. Refers to fees (notes incomplete)
Bernie: it is a review. Not an appeal. Willing to discuss the fee issue.
System we propose is KISS.
Stephen: we meet again Wed, 29 June at 19 UTC

Joke Braeken
joke.braeken at icann.org