[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Objection to Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement

Activist Lore activistlore at silvr.com
Tue Feb 11 02:07:20 UTC 2020

I am writing to object to the proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry
Agreement.  As an information professional working in memory
institutions and guided by the core principles of librarianship (see
American Library Association at
http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/corevalues), I am distressed
over the impact on accessibility this change has.  The domain names
people are most comfortable and familiar with are those that end in
.com.  This makes them the most accessible domains, and by increasing
the cost of a .com domain name, you limit who can afford to own one.
This further redistributes accessibility, and with it power, into the
hands of the already wealthy and powerful, depriving the common person
of the powerful tool the Internet has been.  It relegates them to the
margins, where their voice is minimized or unheard.

Moreover, I am concerned about the conflict of interest inherit in
Verisign operating as a domain registrar, especially with the influence
Verisign has over domain registration pricing.  These are untenable
propositions, and I urge you to reject this proposed amendment.

Sincerely,
Mahogany Lore