[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Please help keep popular domains cheaper

maxeem maxeem at maxeem.com
Tue Feb 11 03:31:47 UTC 2020

ICANN group,

Hello. Please help protect free speech and do not increase the prices
too highly of domains, for the sake of us independent artists. Business
names are one thing, perhaps EVEN ".com" addresses would be reasonable
to charge more of businesses.

But please consider our positions as artists, reporters and other
important cultural creatives that contribute to society's deeper
explorations of our understanding of life.

My significant other and myself both run several sites in order to
maintain our freedom of creation. We make new and popular artforms on
several .coms of our own ownership. It is the safest way to protect and
control our own information which is our right and also to the benefit
of our audience, who appreciates when we are not censored.

Since YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Google and the alternatives that
offer space (*under their selfish terms*) to domain ownership can and do
censor our artwork (and those of our peers) for completely nebulous
reasons, it is not fair to also make the only alternative (personal
domain ownership) even more expensive and unavailable to the average
person than it already is.

If you want to become more like China, then I guess that is the path you
may be on. And perhaps you cannot help that due to political and
monetary pressures. But if you go this route, know that it is a
surrender of that which remains of the free world's highest ideals of
freedom of thought, expression and speech. And that seems like a
terrible mistake for humanity!

Please reconsider this decision lest those who pressure you to make it
can get away with even more such attacks on society and its well earned
freedoms.

Warm regards,

Maxeem