[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] .COM price increases and Verisign role change

Tom Thackrey tom at willglen.com
Tue Feb 11 13:57:31 UTC 2020

I read about the proposed changes to the .COM fees and allowing Verisign to act as a domain registrar.

I object to the magnitude of the fee increase. I register about 70 domain names, most of which are .COM. 7%/year for the wholesale price is way too high. Given the current rate of inflation, I suggest 1% is more reasonable. The end-user price will be even higher. It may be trivial if you only register 1 or 2 domain names, but for those of use who have a large number of domain names, the increase in cost will be significant.

Allowing Verisign to compete with other domain registrars is unfair on the face of it. Verisign should not be the operator of the .COM TLD and a registrar.

Regards,
Tom Thackrey
Willow Glen Productions
(408) 623-8829