[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Unreasonable rate of increase

Joel Lord jlord at advancedinfomanagement.com
Mon Feb 10 22:43:42 UTC 2020

I am certainly willing to concede that reasonable price increases need
to be accounted for in long-term agreements such as these. Over the ~25
years I've been registering .com and .org domain names, the prices as I
have seen them haven't particularly changed, and while the amortized
costs associated with any given domain can't possibly be large, they
also can't still be the same as they were in the 1990s.

But 7% per year seems exorbitant.  If there is some way to justify these
increases I would be interested in seeing it, but without further
information I can't imagine what it might be.  The rate of inflation
these days is closer to 2% in the US, where Verisign is headquartered.
Servers, hosting, internet connectivity, and tools are constantly
getting cheaper and more effective.  The costs guaranteed to increase
over time are people, but unless Verisign is offering a platinum health
plan, people don't increase by 7% per year, every single year.

As things stand, I have to hope that this gets renegotiated down to an
actually reasonable rate of increase over time.

--
Joel Lord
Sr. Systems Architect