[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] ICANN price caps

Charlie Ozinga ozchaz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 22:40:27 UTC 2020

As an developer, domain name registrant, and avid user of the internet, I am here to add my complaint to the Jan 3. Agreement that ICANN has made with Verisign, Inc. re: operation of the top-level domain (TLD) .COM.

The potential for significant price increase over the next 10 years is simply unacceptable; there seems to be justification given for this increase. That ICANN is receiving money from Verisign for this “deal”, without any explanation or description on how the money will be spent, or any sort of oversight, just makes it look like ICANN is receiving a kickback for this contract update that does nothing but put a financial squeeze on the customer.

Additionally, allowing Verisign to operate as a registrar goes counter the original purpose of the contract; it reduces competition and choice, and ultimately harms the registry market. Having a platform compete with its users never turns out well; this move also makes it look like Verisign is making a cash grab, and paying off ICANN to look the other way.

I expected better of ICANN. At the very least, these changes should have had more public feedback before being put into place.

Please rescind these changes immediately, and allow a more thorough, data-driven and community-discussed process to take effect for these kinds of updates. The internet should not be a platform run in secret, and should promote values beyond a naked profit motive.

Sincerely,
Charlie Ozinga