[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] How about no to VeriSign?

Terry Hoiness terry at stylingfx.com
Mon Feb 10 22:27:40 UTC 2020

How about we not allow unfettered price increases on domain names.  There's
already a monopoly on the top layer, and if this continues, I think some
letters to our government representatives may be in order.

Add underhanded dealings with Verisign, to an already monopolistic market,
and the expectation is that the public won't push back?

$20M from VeriSign was all it took to remove price caps, and allow them to
endlessly increase the pricing of domain names?

That's not shady at all, right?

The fact that this has already come into question, and that you have
already ignored the comments of the .org initiative, indicate to myself,
and those like me, that government intervention may be necessary to
maintain a reasonable, and fair, internet infrastructure.

I generally disagree with government intervention, but when there's
underhanded, monopolistic dealings afoot, I find it's warranted for the
government to oversee the company.

Good luck maintaining your stranglehold, if you want to play the
capitalizing game.  You can't pretend to be a neutral arbiter when you're
taking dark funds to influence financial decisions, against the general
public's interest.