[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] DO NOT Raise Prices & Act More Transparently

Edward Phelps ephelps09 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 16:40:47 UTC 2020

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to set forth my dissent for the Contract executed with
VeriSign which was announced on January 3, 2020.

As 40% of all domain names are .com domains, the promise of up to 70% price
increases over the next decade represents a serious strategic attack on the
ability of individuals and small organizations to acquire and hold domain
assets. I project the effects to include deep reductions in the number of
individual and small organizations that hold domains, and concurrently a
rise in the consolidation of domain assets among corporate enterprises.
This will seriously affect small business growth by 1) shifting the ability
to acquire online domain assets to the top echelon of small businesses; and
2) limiting the overall visibility and reach of small business online.
Simply put, there are more equitable approaches to achieving the profit
goals.

With this memo I make the following requests:

   1. Renegotiate the VeriSign contract with participation of key domain
   seller community members and stakeholders.
   2. Collect current public opinion data and factor it into the planning
   process.
   3. Devise and implement a globally transparent process for developing
   domain pricing policy and agreements.

Remember that how you see things is ultimately just that... how "you" see
things. There are other perspectives and options that can yield
dramatically more favorable results over the near and long term.

Thanks for all that you do to make domains available.

--
Edward Phelps
ephelps09 at gmail.com