[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] In Opposition of Proposed Amendment 3

Elliot Silver info at embrace.com
Fri Feb 14 17:55:48 UTC 2020

To Whom It May Concern:

I am very concerned about the proposed price hikes for .com domain names. I
do not believe this price increase is in the best interest of anyone but
Verisign shareholders. It is certainly not in the best interest of .com
registrants who will pay more - perhaps much more over the next several
years - but receive nothing in return for the additional expense.

I do not see any valid reason for why the wholesale price of .com domain
names should be permitted to be raised. If anything, the cost of
maintaining the registry should be decreasing. If that is not the case with
Verisign, perhaps the registry should be put up for bid from other
qualified companies. I believe if an RFP was put in place to manage the
.com registry, other service providers would be able to offer .com domain
names for a lower price.

It does not make sense to me that ICANN appears to be looking out for
Verisign's bottom line rather than the domain registrants that can only
purchase and renew their .com domain names from Verisign. If ICANN does not
protect domain name registrants from increasing prices, I do not think
ICANN serves any useful purpose any longer.

Respectfully,
Elliot Silver