[Comments-community-travel-guidelines-13feb20] Business Constituency (BC) comment on Revised Travel Support Guidelines

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Mon Apr 20 23:22:40 UTC 2020

Below and attached is the comment of ICANN’s Business Constituency (BC) regarding ICANN’s Revised Community Travel Support Guidelines.

The BC is pleased to comment on the Draft Community Travel Support Guidelines for community members who are supported by ICANN Org to attend ICANN Public Meetings or other approved ICANN events.

BC notes that the revised guidelines are by and large reflective of BC’s expectations as expressed by its comments of 13-July, 2018.

1. On Visa: BC understands that it is actually every traveler’s responsibility to secure all visas necessary for his/her travel including transit visa notwithstanding that ICANN hired a Consultant to support travelers that require their documentation services. We note also that through ICANN’s collaboration with host country relevant agency and BC members’ intervention (especially for travelto ICANN 66, Montreal, Canada), help has usually come to travelers except in some exceptional situations. In order to tackle the exceptional cases, we urge ICANN to connect with GAC to seek advice on improvement on visa issuance to travelers from their respective countries.

In addition and based on our earlier recommendation, we note that ICANN has extended the period for travel processing from 90 days to 120 days.

2. On compensation: ICANN’s commitment to refund on visa cost up to $200 is an improvement beside the per diem. However, there is always room for improvement.

There have been instances where delays exist in the payment of per diems and refunds on certain costs (e.g. visa) to travelers. In this respect, we urge ICANN to set a timeline of at least 3days before every Meeting to pay per diems and not more than one week for the payment of refunds to travelers.

3. On Hotel deposit advisory: We note the need to advise travelers has been properly captured in the guidelines.

4. On substitution of a traveler when a cancellation for defined cause occurs: That is already being implemented.

5. On hotel room sharing: This possibility should be expressly and adequately communicated by ICANN org in communications with funded travelers so they understand that this is an option and opt for it soon enough in the process so that the room can be freed up for another qualified participant.

We thank the ICANN Travel team for their dedication and commitment to serving the community.

This comment was drafted by Jimson Olufuye, Mark Datysgeld, and Arinola Akinyemi

It was approved in accord with our Charter.

Steve DelBianco
Vice Chair for Policy Coordination
ICANN Business Constituency (BC)