[Comments-fellowship-proposal-11jun18] Some considerations on the proposal to the "ICANN Fellowship Program"

Alexis Anteliz antelizalexis at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 02:33:24 UTC 2018

Some considerations on the proposal to the "ICANN Fellowship Program"

A fraternal greeting to all, in relation to the "ICANN Fellowship Program"
the first thing we must say is that without the ICANN Scholarship program
it would be impossible to participate in the ICANN meetings. I have noted
after attending two opportunities as a fellow, that it is equally or more
important to participate in a face-to-face meeting, it is participation
that occurs remotely through calls, mailing lists, on the wiki, with
comments or proposals to the documents under discussion in the Support
Committees or work groups and although it may not have a direct impact on
the work papers, participation through Social Networks, whose contribution
to communication and / or external dissemination is not can deny

The proposal establishes selection criteria that privilege the experience,
previous verifiable knowledge, the verification of the contributions of
that experience and that these have been applied in the heart of their
community of origin, this should have the highest consideration,
considering the achievements obtained against the resources or the support
received by the applicant.

I propose to take into account the asymmetries, not only economic of the
country of the applicant, we must be able to consider the condition of the
applicant, for a principle of equality in access to the opportunity to be a
scholarship holder.

Another criterion that asks the applicant to demonstrate that they have the
knowledge that makes them eligible, but is contradictory, when they want to
be a scholarship holder to obtain that knowledge and experience, for this
reason it is vital to expand the opportunities to access the training. follow
-as so far- with the improvements to the e-learnig platform, for example,
permanently maintain the course for coach (you will not always be in a
face-to-face meeting).

The fellow who returned must state what his work was during his time of
absence to the face-to-face meeting, and previously inform in the selection
process what his work proposal will be now that he returns.

It is vital to establish a scale with minimum parameters, which ensure not
only the participation in work groups within the different support
committees by the fellow who returns or wishes to apply for the times
allowed, or of the candidates eligible to "coach", but that such
participation is effective and adds real value with their contributions,
for this it is necessary to have a verifiable metric. For example; the
postulate can contribute to the selection process, a systematization of
their work in their country, community or organization of origin, as well
as their participation in the calls, mailing lists or wiki within the
committees, sub-committees, working groups , this participation must be
relevant and be framed in the mission and objectives of ICANN.

It is suggested that as part of the follow-up process to the fellow, once
selected and prior to the meeting, not only the webinars on the Internet
ecosystem (governance), the ICANN mission, the development of policies, but
also the Familiarize yourself with the culture of ICANN around the value of
consensus, respect, argument, respectful discussion, that is, adopt a code
of conduct that privileges the best resolution of conflicts, this will help
to advance in a harmonious way the relationships of voluntary work and
collaborative
in the community.

It is suggested to differentiate the number of times a person is allowed to
apply as a fellow (up to three times), in relation to whether he does it as
a coach, I think he should have the same number of opportunities. How can
we develop leadership and form our community, however, I do mine the words
of a fellow, León Felipe Sánchez, who said: "The position of leadership is
a means to serve the community, it is not an end "

regards

Alexis Anteliz (fellowship)

--
Alexis Anteliz