[Comments-info-renewal-18mar19] removing .info legacy price caps threaten small organizations

CarolMoore1776 carolmoore1776 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 13:47:27 UTC 2019

A number of excellent objections to raising the cap on info legacy TLDs
have been explained here. I have another issue.

I am an .info registrant for a small website that advocates for a
specific issue.  While .net is my main site, I forward from the .info
domain to .net because I advocate for nonviolence on the topic and do
not want those who advocate for violence to be able to use one of the
top domain extensions to confuse themselves with my site.  I also don't
want it to be used to mimic or mock my site or even to defraud visitors.
(My main site already was hacked once by possible opponents to the
nonviolent philosophy.)

Similar concerns apply to individuals who do not want their name sullied
with false sites mocking or misrepresenting them.

I find it difficult to believe that an organization like ICANN would
force small organizations and websites that protect themselves in the
same way have to let go of their .info extensions.  This could lead to
various attacks on their reputation.

Yes, speculators and domain investors can be annoying. But at least if
you want a domain back they'll sell it to you.  Saboteurs will just hold
on to it!

I thought when the United States let ICANN go it was to serve the larger
public and the world in a fairer way and help keep costs under control
for countries with smaller GDP and personal and group incomes.  But now
I see just the opposite.

I am very disappointed.

NOTE: By submitting my personal data, I agree that my personal data will
be processed in accordance with the ICANN Privacy Policy, and agree to
abide by the website Terms of Service. By submitting my personal data, I