[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Blatant money grab and mission creep

Paul Rigby paul at copywriter.hk
Wed Apr 24 11:48:53 UTC 2019

Can see what’s happening here. You guys tried this before. And failed.

Start by removing price caps on a less popular extension.

Then apply the same standards to the more popular extensions.

Who benefits? Certainly not the owners of the domains.

I can recall a time when domains were free to register.

Payment for domains was initially introduced supposedly to discourage registration of multiple domains by domain squatters.

Now we see it becoming a profit center for bureaucrats and cronies.

What happened to PUBLIC BENEFIT?

You state on your website: "ICANN is a not-for-profit public-benefit corporation with participants from all over the world dedicated to keeping the Internet secure, stable and interoperable.”

Exactly how does the public benefit from removing price caps from domain registrations? To whom will this proposed avalanche of cash go? What do they propose to do with it?

As the owner of .com domains I can’t condemn this apparently corrupt wealth transfer enough.

Thank you for keeping price caps. In fact lower or abolish the prices if you really want the public to benefit then everyone could have their own domain name.

Thank you

Paul Rigby