[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Comment on proposed renewal of .org registry agreement

Alan alan at anarchycorp.org
Thu Apr 25 19:39:00 UTC 2019

.org's current maintainer, Public Interest Registry (PIR), held a contest in 2010 specifically to bring awareness to the use of the .org top-level domain (TLD) and explain the differences between .org and other TLDs like .com or .net.  PIR itself is a non-profit.  The current agreement appears to cap price increases for fees paid to PIR by registrars at 10%.  While rates of inflation do vary across the world, the rate in Reston, VA (where PIR is located), does not appear to be more than a few percent and certainly does not approach the 10% cap.  I think it would be helpful for ICANN to better explain the logic behind eliminating this consumer protection, as inflation and decreasing costs of technology do not seem to align with the intent of the .org registry.  Lacking a clear explanation of the rationale behind such a decision, I strongly urge ICANN to reconsider, and drop the proposed elimination of the price increase cap.

Thanks for your consideration.

--
Alan