[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Comments on .org Registry Agreement Renewal

Joshua Zeitlinger joshuaspring9 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 17:46:38 UTC 2019

Dear ICANN:

Having recently been made aware that the the .org Registry Agreement is up for renewal with potentially substantial changes, I wanted to submit my feedback on these changes.  Of particular concern to me is the provision in section 2.10 of the renewal agreement, which lifts all price cap provisions on the .org domain.  I implore to you to reconsider the decision, and instead keep the restrictions present in the current agreement.  Affordable domain names are critical to ensuring the internet remains open and available to everyone.  As a student who operates many of my own websites and projects, being able to purchase a .org domain for an affordable price has been critical to maintaining my web presence.  Furthermore, many non-profits make use of the .org domain, who also depend on its affordability.  Changes such as these can set a dangerous precedent that other TLDs such as .com and .net will also implement when those registry agreements come up for renewal.  The ability to own a domain name should have nothing to do with wealth.

Sincerely,
Joshua Zeitlinger