[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] ICANN removal of price caps for .org TLD is wrong

Dale Rowett dale at catesandcompany.com
Thu Apr 25 15:09:59 UTC 2019

My agency registers TLD’s on behalf of our clients. Until yesterday, I didn’t understand why .org TLD registrations were higher than most others, and didn’t know how to ask the question or of whom. All I knew is that it didn’t make sense for TLD’s intended for not-for-profit organizations to incur significantly higher registration costs, given that they are not for profit. Now, I am informed about why .org fees are higher and I think it is not ethical and should be illegal. The idea that ICANN would remove price controls from a registry that is essentially a monopoly is unconscionable.

Of all the organizations that rely on their internet presence, non-profits can least afford unpredictable, skyrocketing registration and renewal fees. I urge the decision makers at ICANN to abandon any ideas of turning PIR loose to charge whatever punitive fees they want without consequence.

Dale Rowett
Creative Director

621 East 8th | Pine Bluff, AR 71601 | (870) 536-8175 | www.catesandcompany.com <http://www.catesandcompany.com/>