[community-finance] Durban Public Finance Session

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Fri May 31 18:52:59 UTC 2013

Please see my comments below.

Chuck

From: Taryn S. Presley [mailto:taryn.presley at icann.org]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 1:37 PM
To: community-finance at icann.org; jcurran at arin.net; Maher, David; pdiaz at pir.org; Drazek, Keith; Adams, Michael D.; Gomes, Chuck; Julie Hedlund; chris at andalucia.com; tonyarholmes at btinternet.com; Elisa Cooper; Paul Wilson; Lynn Gravel; Byron Holland
Cc: Xavier J. Calvez; Ken Redhead; Janice Douma Lange; Maya S. Reynolds
Subject: Durban Public Finance Session

All:

In preparation for the Durban Public Finance Session (tentatively scheduled for Wednesday July 17, 2013 11:00AM), we are soliciting your feedback on items to be included in the agenda.  The following have been identified as potential agenda items:

*         FY14 Draft Budget

o   SO/ AC Requests - overall results and implementation approach [Chuck Gomes]  This might be better handled in SO/AC meetings if possible, especially with regard to specific SO/AC items.

o   Public comments overview - address major areas of focus/ concern[Chuck Gomes]  I think that quite a bit of time should be allotted for this to address comments of major importance.  This could be handled more efficiently if there are informative responses to public comments posted in advance of the Durban meeting; then the time in this session could be used to address follow-up questions.

o   Review budget development process improvement- post mortem on FY14 budget process and next steps for FY15 budget process*[Chuck Gomes]  I believe it is important to make clear that we were unable to implement improvements in the process as planned this time around but that it will change significantly for FY15 so that there is adequate detail presented early enough for there to be changes made before Board action.  I doubt that more than 5 minutes should be needed for this, assuming that WG will deal with this in more detail.

*         Future Financial Reporting

o   FY13 Actual vs. FY13 Budget and FY12 Actual w/ variance analysis - to be published by the Buenos Aires meeting[Chuck Gomes]  Are these mainly information items?  If so, I would think that they could communicated in relatively short order.

o   Quarterly public reporting - format/ content currently under review with the BFC[Chuck Gomes]  Is this also mainly informational?  If so, it could also be communicated in a few minutes.

*         New gTLD Program Update**[Chuck Gomes]  It seems to me that this needs to be discussed in a separate session because it could easily absorb most of the 90 minutes considering how focused everyone will be on this.

* Similar to last year, we would like to form a working group to help formulate a better process for the development of the FY15 budget; one that allows more interaction with the community.  In preparation for this, we would like the community's feedback on having a separate 60 minute "kickoff" session to discuss budget development process improvement.   The purpose of this session will be to define the working group goals and gain consensus on the best approach to facilitate the working group (calls/ webinars/ etc.).[Chuck Gomes]  Good idea.  Will it be possible to find a 60 minute block without serious conflicts?  If not, it may need to be handled in a conference call soon after Durban.

**The New gTLD program update may be included in the New gTLD Session rather than the Public Finance Session.[Chuck Gomes]  Will there be enough time in the New gTLD Session?  It may take a lot of time because of the state of new gTLDs and everyone's focus on them.

Will you please provide your feedback on the above agenda items as well as items not listed that you feel should be addressed during the session?  We will consider all recommendations, however given the 90 minute timeframe (including Q&A) all may not be included in the final agenda.

Will you also please provide feedback on having the 60 minute budget development process improvement "kickoff" meeting?[Chuck Gomes]  See above.

Thank you in advance for your strong support.

Best regards,
Taryn

Taryn Presley
Manager, FP&A