[council] gTLD registries' paper on new TLds

Cade,Marilyn S - LGCRP mcade at att.com
Sun Aug 10 22:51:46 UTC 2003

Jeff, and other fellow councilors

As we have all discussed, it's a more complex problem than merely ISPs, and will involve a much needed communications initiative, which we can all either complain about, or simply make happen. :-)  I vote for "simply make happen".

Since the call hasn't been scheduled yet, I suggest that we work on that as a priority. I too, thought the call could have taken place by now. I guess we were all waiting for someone else. :-)

I was.  It has been a holiday season for many both in the US and now in Europe.

I'm not much better. I'm off next week to be with my father who is having surgery, so a call the following week to work on this would be preferred. IF it can only take place this week, I can possibly do a call Wednesday p.m. or Friday p.m.

I really don't think that taking up much time on the Council call is productive. The parties who can play a role in this are a very few of the BC members, who I am happy to represent and communicate with, the ISPCP, and probably the high ed community, who Mark Luker, Educause, will undoubtedly be willing to forward any information to.

When I was on the Evaluation of the new gTLD task force, I suggested then that an education effort was needed and didn't get much receptivity from Stuart Lynn. That was early days of this problem. We can address this through an informal, and formal awareness and outreach notice.

I'm pretty sure that ISPs and connectivity providers -- and large corporations who operate resolvers and routers -- don't want to lose traffic. Let me speak for AT&T. We don't.  :-)

MC