[council] Annual Meeting now Tunisia?

Cade,Marilyn S - LGCRP mcade at att.com
Mon Sep 22 01:16:38 UTC 2003

Bruce and fellow Councilors

I disagree with this approach, which seems to be to say that it is acceptable for the Board to ignore the request from Council. Council should request that the Board acknowledge our resolution, and give an affirmative agreement to the extension which we requested to extend the change until after there is a assessment by Council, after a year of operation as the gNSO.

What is the status of our resolution to the Board which laid out the Council's views? Finally, IF the board refuses to accept our recommendation, I believe that we should file a reconsideration request.

mcade at att.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Tonkin [mailto:Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au]
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2003 8:50 PM
To: council at dnso.org
Subject: RE: [council] Annual Meeting now Tunisia?

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for alerting us to the date of the 2003 Annual meeting.

Note also that under the transition article of the bylaws:
Article XX, section 5, clause 8:

"In the absence of further action on the topic by the New Board, each of
the GNSO constituencies shall select two representatives to the GNSO
Council no later than 1 October 2003, and shall provide the ICANN
Secretary written notice of its selections. Each constituency shall
designate one of those representatives to serve a one-year term, and one
to serve a two year-term. Each successor to those representatives shall
serve a two-year term."

The 1 October 2003 date looks unachievable.

I recommend each constituency commence arrangements to elect the two
GNSO representatives as above, with the aim of completing the process by
the end of the Annual Meeting in Tunisia.  I also recommend that each
constituency  select an additional representative as a reserve, should
the Board approve the recommendation from the GNSO Council to allow 3
representatives until such time as the performance of the GNSO Council
can be reviewed.

Bruce Tonkin

-----Original Message-----
From: Neuman, Jeff [mailto:Jeff.Neuman at Neustar.us] 
Sent: Saturday, 20 September 2003 6:55 AM
To: 'council at dnso.org'
Subject: [council] Annual Meeting now Tunisia?


I noticed that the ICANN Board is now proposing to make the Tunisia
meeting the "Annual Meeting" of the Board of Directors

That being the case, assuming that the Board does not reverse its
decision on having 2 representatives, I guess the assumption is that
each constituency will be required to hold new elections for the 2
representatives and have those reps in place by the end of the Tunisia

In the way of guidance from the other constituencies, I was wondering if
you all are holding elections in the next few weeks for new Council
members.  In addition, technically, even if 3 reps are allowed I believe
the bylaws call for all new elections.

Please advise.


Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq. 
Director, Law & Policy 
NeuStar, Inc. 
Loudoun Tech Center 
46000 Center Oak Plaza 
Building X 
Sterling, VA 20166 
p: (571) 434-5772 
f:  (571) 434-5735 
e-mail: Jeff.Neuman at Neustar.us 
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for
the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This
message may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and
as such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
this e-mail message and any attachments hereto in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.

More information about the council mailing list