[council] RE: [gnso-dow123] Suggested standard text on policy recommendations

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:12:03 UTC 2005

This struck me as something I don't really think is right....

So, I need some clarification here.... I was the chair of the Transfers Task
Force. I don't recall that we agreed that the consensus policy does not
apply to sponsored TLDS.

Sponsored TLDs are always subject to consensus policy.

The sponsor has some additional responsibilities, but consensus policy
applies to sponsored TLDS. Otherwise, we would have a chaotic situation
where "one offs" were negotiated willy nilly without any community consensus
and support. Not good for the Internet. Not good for ICANN.

Not good for users.

And not good for Council.

More broadly, as it relates to ICANN overall, IF we are being put out of
business as the "consensus policy body" and replaced by private contractual
negotiations where there is no public notice, and things are done "privately
as contractual negotiations",  I'd like to have that discussed publicly
within the Council, and within the community so there is clarity and either
1) that approach is supported 2) that approach is rejected.

I think that was what the community asked for in Luxembourg, as it relates
to the .net negotiations.

The relationship to sponsored TLDS not being subject to consensus policies
concerns me because it sounds like a "negotiation" -- and as someone who
both supports the success of sponsored TLDS and supports ICANN's overall
success, I don't support sponsored TLDS not being accountable to consensus
policies. IF we need to tweak the consensus policy to "fit" sponsored TLDS,
it needs to be a general tweak,  not a one off TLD by TLD. Policy simply
can't be enforced in that latter model.