[council] White paper on new gTLDs

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Jul 13 11:34:22 UTC 2005

Hello Philip,

Thank you for sharing this document with the Council.

I wish to be clear that I personally disagree with many of the
conclusions about new TLDs and the support for sponsored TLDs derived
from the core values of ICANN.

In particular I disagree with the current "sponsored" terminology.

Sponsored and unsponsored - sounds like trying to distinguish for-profit
from non-profit organisations.   Some for-profit organisations lose
money, and some non-pprofit organisatios make a lot of money (ie their
bank balances progressively increase and they are free to spend on
luxuries).

These are my personal views - but I would be surprised if there was
support for these concepts from the registrars constituency.

The real point is that the Council is not yet engaged in using its
processes to manage a structured debate on policies issues within the
GNSO Community.

I will forward your presentation to the registrars constituency for now,
and will continue to work on working constructively with the ICANN
Board, ICANN staff, and ccNSO Council in providing some structure to the
process for introducing new TLDs.   Before beginning this process, it is
important to be clear about what is the current "ICANN Consensus Policy"
on this subject, and determining what additional policy is required.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin