[council] FW: the topic of new gTLDs and the role of gNSO Council

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue Jul 26 13:26:20 UTC 2005

Marilyn -

Before we claim the issue of new gTLDs as a policy issue, it is
incumbent upon us to consider existing policy in this area and determine
a plan of work that moves us closer to our goals. You make some
excellent suggestions regarding specific action items that might be
included in an eventual action plan, but this is, in my opinion, putting
the tactical cart before the strategic horse. Let us first consider what
work has been completed, evaluate how this work fits into the long-term
goals of the GNSO and then incorporate this thinking into a project plan
that we can execute against. After having completed this "survey" of the
policy-scape, we may find that there is very little for the GNSO to do
and in fact, the current actions of the board and staff are consistent
with an implementation track initiated by the prior policy work of the
GNSO.

My personal suspicion is that there is some, but not much, policy work
for the GNSO to do in this area, but that there may be some additional
work required to provide the staff and board with additional guidance
concerning our prior work.

On 26/07/2005 1:45 AM Marilyn Cade noted that;
> Dear colleagues,
>

> My posting to the public forum on the new gTLD questions is posted below
> for your information. I look forward to the discussion on this topic on
> Thursday. I have just reread the relevant transcript of the Board?s
> public forum to refresh my memory on the discussion. Of course, there is
> also the discussion that took place in our own meetings to inform our
> discussion on Thursday as well.

- --
Regards,

                       -rwr

                "Every contrivance of man, every tool, every instrument,
                 every utensil, every article designed for use, of each
                 and every kind, evolved from very simple beginnings."
                        - Robert Collier

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org