[council] Vancouver draft schedule

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 24 15:36:07 UTC 2005

I am concerned abiout this timing as well. I have no insight into the reasoning. This puts the council at a disadvantage in its ability to fully paricipate in the topics of the ICANN public forum, which is why I asked Glen and Olof on the planning call to relay the concerns related to the schedule of topics. 

There has been a trend to treat the council's meetings as not of concern to the broad community. I think that is an error in many ways, but let's discuss this in monday's meting and then present the ICANN programme committee with Council guidance that has Council support. The WSIS final. Documents reference gtld policy specifically, and governmental interest. We know that the GAC is interested in further dialogue with council. Son it would stand to reason that the council meting needs to be part of the core programme, and not an afterthought. However, scheduling is hard work. We should renew our commitment to the programme committee cioncept and fully support a debrief/preliminary planning meeting for the programme comittee during the final bd retreat on Sat pm. :-) 

Thus being part of the solution. It could be that we would even embrace such strange hours if it allows our remote councilors to better participate. 
-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Rader <ross at tucows.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:52:52 
To:"GNSO.SECRETARIAT at GNSO.ICANN.ORG" <gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org>
Cc:council at gnso.icann.org
Subject: Re: [council] Vancouver draft schedule

I find it odd that the ICANN public forum is being held between the GNSO 
Public Forum and the GNSO Council meeting. Would it be possible to 
request that the timeslot for the GNSO PF and the ICANN PF be switched? 
It would allow the GNSO Council and the GNSO community greater 
continuity in our meeting.

> [To:council[at]gnso.icann.org]
> Dear All,
> This is just to give you a rough orientation. Attached please find a 
> skeleton plan of meetings that are particularly related to the GNSO. I 
> do not have the names of all the rooms nor do I have confirmation of 
> times, but as soon as they become available I will fill them in and make 
> adjustments.
> See the agendas for the GNSO Council meeting and the joint Board meeting 
> on Monday 28 November at the end of the e-mail.
> A separate list of the documents that will be waiting for you in 
> Vancouver will follow on the council list.
> Thanks and safe trips!
> Kind regards
> Glen
> Glen de Saint Géry
> GNSO Secretariat - ICANN
> gnso.secretariat[at]gnso.icann.org
> glen[at]mobileemail.vodafone.fr
> http://gnso.icann.org
> GNSO Council meeting in Vancouver
> 28 November 2005
> 9:00 to 12:00 local time
> Item 1: Approval of minutes
> - GNSO Council teleconference - 13 October 2005
> - GNSO Council teleconference - 20 October 2005
> Item 2: Staff action items
> - list of current GNSO work items
> - update from Glen on Vancouver meeting schedule
> Item 3: Election of GNSO Council chair
> - Bruce Tonkin has been nominated and seconded
> - term from 18 Nov 2005 until one month after 2005 AGM (4 Jan 2006)
> Item 4: Evaluation of new gtlds (.biz, .info etc as well as .travel,
> .jobs. .mobi etc)
> - update on questions to structure the evaluation
> Item 5: Policy Development Process for new gtlds
> - discuss issues report
> - decide whether to commence a PDP
> Item 6: Policy development for IDNs
> - discuss background document
> - decide whether to formally request an issues report
> section 1 - Raising an Issue
> section 2 - Creation of the Issue Report
> Item 7: WHOIS: Final Recommendation regarding handling conflicts between
> a registrar/registry's legal obligations under privacy laws and their
> contractual obligations to ICANN
> - vote on final recommendation as completed by the WHOIS task force on
> 19 Oct
> Item 8: WHOIS task force
> - progress on purpose and definitions of contacts
> Item 9: Update on GNSO strategic plan
> Item 10: Update on GNSO operational plan
> Item 11: Any other business
> GNSO Council/ICANN Board meeting in Vancouver
> 28 November 2005
> 14:00 to 17:00 local time
> 1 GNSO Council work plan for November 2005 to March 2006  (60% of
> meeting time)
> 1.1  Evaluation of initial introduction of new gtlds, including:
> .biz, .info, .name, .coop, .aero, .museum, .coop, .jobs, .travel, .mobi
> 1.2 Policy Development Process (PDP) for new ASCII gTLDs, including:
> - whether to create new ASCII gTLDs
> - what criteria to apply to new ASCII gTLD applications
> - what allocation method to use to prioritise applications
> - what conditions should apply to new gTLD operators
> 1.3 Policy Development Process for IDN based gTLDs (in collaboration
> with the ccNSO)
> - examples of issues include:
> - whether existing ASCII gTLD operator should also be able to operate a
> IDN version of the ASCII strong.   If so, should a name.ASCII resolve to
> the same Internet location as name.IDN
> - should an new IDN gTLD operator be able to compete directly against an
> existing ASCII gTLD operator by choosing a string with exactly the same
> meaning  (e.g .travel in Chinese).  If so, how do we ensure that the
> implement is secure (ie two domain names with apparently the same
> meaning, but with different destinations).
> 1.4 WHOIS policy
> 2 GNSO work program for April 2006 to November 2006  (20% of meeting
> time)
> - further work on the above where necessary e.g IDN based gTLD pilot
> project
> - e.g compliance/enforcement policies
> 3 GNSO strategic planning for Nov 2006 to Nov 2008   (20% of meeting
> time)
> - this item will build on the work done by Patrick Sharry with the
> Council in Luxembourg on identifying some of the strategic policy issues
> for the GNSO
> - policy implications of DNSSEC
> - policy implications of use of DNS to support voice over IP
> applications and more advanced instant messaging applications
> I welcome any suggested changes to the agenda.
> Regards,
> Bruce Tonkin

Marilyn Cade

More information about the council mailing list