[council] Regarding data collected and the purpose of collecting data

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 02:13:03 UTC 2006

Anthony,

--- Anthony Harris <harris at cabase.org.ar> wrote:

> Mawaki,
>
> 1) In what country were you living when you
>     registered a domain name? Was there no
>     country code domain you could resort to,
>     and thus be protected by the national legal
>     privacy framework?

Here in the US and was registering under gTLDs.

> 2) I beleive that to be unlisted in a phone book,
>     there is normally a charge?

But I don't see what is the equivalent of IACNN (a private
corporation) by whom the registrar will say they are _required_ to
publish your personal data. Besides, having an electronic database
publicly available, is not the same as having the data published in
hard copy even if the data is stored in an electronic form (and
governed with privacy/data protection guidelines, e.g. in a country
like France where I lived several years), but I guess things might
vary from a country to another...

> 3) I get 300 spams a day, mostly from Asia, and
>     I dont have a domain name of any sort, nor am
>     I listed in any whois database.

Well, in my case, it turns out (as I said some time ago) that I used
to have a very small number of spam on that account, the increase has
been dramatic short after registering a DN related to that account,
while at the same time I started getting calls about web site hosting
(am also addressing here Bruce's remark about this). Eventually, I
asked the last person who called me where she got my contacts from,
she said they were given a list and she didn't know, but kindly
offered that if I wish she could remove my phone contact from the
list, and they will just send me emails about their services, which I
accepted. Of course I wouldn't infer as a scientific truth (I
presented this as a story, and I think it's worth anything you can
read in newspaper) that that necessarily causes this; for this is
just one occurrence, and it might be, or not, a coincidence. But in
the mean time and at my micro-level, I can only say chances are...

Anyway, even if you have evidence that my experience is not
generalizable (which does not necessary mean the spam increase isn't
related to the Whois being public, in my specific case), the whole
argument remains.

Mawaki