[council] Regarding data collected and the purpose of collecting data - Corrigendum

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 03:45:34 UTC 2006

Corrigendum:

Instead of,

> 2) I beleive that to be unlisted in a phone book,
>     there is normally a charge?

But I don't see what is the equivalent of IACNN (a private
corporation) by whom the registrar will say they are _required_ to
publish your personal data. Besides, having an electronic database
publicly available, is not the same as having the data published in
hard copy even if the data is stored in an electronic form (and
governed with privacy/data protection guidelines, e.g. in a country
like France where I lived several years), but I guess things might
vary from a country to another...

The above paragraph should read:

But I don't see the equivalent of ICANN (a private
corporation, with global scope) in telecommunications by whom the
operators (of national networks) would say they are _required_ to
publish client's personal data. In this case, they only need to be
consistent with their national law, which is normal.
Besides, having an electronic database publicly available and
completely searchable on a global network, from which you get
someone's personal contact details by the simple clue of a domain
name, is not the same as having the data published in hard copy (in
most countries), or even available on the web or stored in any
searchable electronic form (usually, provided that you are already in
posession of at least one _personal_ entry, e.g. name). In addition,
number of countries in the latter case provide the necessary privacy
policy and data protection guidelines (e.g. in a country like France
where I lived several years), but then again, things might vary from
a country to another... Thus, the necessity not to impose globally in
the name of ICANN, anything that is not necessary for it to achieve
its mission.

Mawaki