[council] Advice from the General Counsels office on the use of proxy votes

Philip Sheppard philip.sheppard at aim.be
Mon Feb 20 08:56:31 UTC 2006

The current bylaws give the GNSO the flexibility to apply our own procedures.
My recollection is that at its inception the GNSO agreed to proceed under the substantive
part of the guidelines of the Names Council until such time as we adopted our own
procedures.
That includes a system of proxy votes endorsed by the then ICANN general counsel.
I believe we are covered retrospectively.

For future clarity, all we need to do is to ask Glen to submit a set of GNSO procedures for
formal adoption.
I believe she already has such a draft.
Philip