[council] GNSO Review: Updated information (was ICANN Board call)

Liz Williams liz.williams at icann.org
Wed Feb 22 09:40:39 UTC 2006

Marilyn and Council Colleagues

As the senior staff member responsible for the GNSO Review, I will
soon be able to provide much more detailed information on the way in
which the Review will be proceeding now that the appropriate
formalities from last night's Board meeting are completed.

For the benefit of Council members who have not been involved in the
establishment of the Review, I've provided some easy to navigate
background.  I hope this also helps other Council members with their
preparation for the Review.

1.  The July 2005 Luxembourg Resolution initiated the Review and
started a process of discussion between the Board, Council, and Staff
on the establishment of the Terms of Reference. (http://www.icann.org/
minutes/resolutions-15jul05.htm#p4)

2.  The December 2005 Vancouver Resolution approved the Terms of
Reference which had been developed in consultation with individual
members of the Board, Council and Staff (http://www.icann.org/minutes/
resolutions-04dec05.htm.)   A 21 day public comment period about the
draft Terms of Reference was conducted between 27 October 2005 and 17
November 2005.   The archive of comments is at http://forum.icann.org/
lists/gnso-review-tor/

3.  The 14 December 2005 ICANN website posting sought requests for
proposals from independent evaluators (http://www.icann.org/
announcements/announcement-14dec05.htm).

4.  The 21 Feb 2006 Board Resolution approved the appointment of an
independent team of evaluators but is not available online as yet.

5.  Background documents on the GNSO Review can be found at http://
www.icann.org/gnso/review-tor-background-04nov05.htm.  These include
the recommendations from the GNSO Council Review, the relevant ICANN
By laws and other helpful information.

6.  The Terms of Reference can be found at http://www.icann.org/gnso/
review-reference-terms-27oct05.htm.

7.  Article IV Section 4 of ICANN's Bylaws (http://www.icann.org/
general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-08apr05.htm#IV) gives guidance about
the conduct of the review and I've copied it here for easy
reference.  I have added some emphasis which may provide
clarification about the process.

1. The Board shall cause a periodic review, if feasible no less
frequently than every three years, of the performance and operation
of each Supporting Organization, each Supporting Organization
Council, each Advisory Committee (other than the Governmental
Advisory Committee), and the Nominating Committee by an entity or
entities independent of the organization under review. The goal of
the review, to be undertaken pursuant to such criteria and standards
as the Board shall direct, shall be to determine (i) whether that
organization has a continuing purpose in the ICANN structure, and
(ii) if so, whether any change in structure or operations is
desirable to improve its effectiveness. The results of such reviews
shall be posted on the Website for public review and comment, and
shall be considered by the Board no later than the second scheduled
meeting of the Board after such results have been posted for 30 days.
The consideration by the Board includes the ability to revise the
structure or operation of the parts of ICANN being reviewed by a two-
thirds vote of all members of the Board.

Finally, ICANN Bylaws Article X, Section 5 which deals with the
GNSO's operating procedures.

Of course, any further questions are more than welcome.

Liz

Liz Williams
Senior Policy Counselor
ICANN - Brussels