[council] PDP timelines

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Jan 5 04:14:19 UTC 2006

On 4 jan 2006, at 20.32, Bruce Tonkin wrote:

> A PDP ties up significant staff and community resources.  I am
> proposing
> that a particular PDP conclude after a certain drop dead date if
> agreement can't be reached.

> It is a similar process for companies doing development or R&D.  They
> allocate resources for a particular project for a particular period
> (and
> cost).

I think in most cases, in my experience at least, projects that do
not complete on time are reviewed and extended only if warranted.
Automatic sunset that disregards complexity or issues does not seem
the best alternative to me.  It seems that any notion of concluding a
PDP must require a definitive action, e.g. a vote, as opposed to some
automatic mechanism.

a.