[council] Proposed simplified WHOIS motion for 20 July 2006

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Jul 18 20:16:53 UTC 2006

Hi,

I think this is an improvement, as I thought the last paragraph was
confusing and opened up more questions problems then it answered or
resolved.

I must, however, say, that I do not understand the point of even the
simplified motion.  Why do we want a motion to this effect?  What
will it improve?  I am not arguing against it, I just can't really
see the point of it.

In terms of the first bullet, I think knowing the thoughts behind
each of our votes can only serve to make things more confusing.  We
voted on the language of prop 1, which as is often (if not always)
the case, had different nuances for each person.  It will be very
difficult for any of us to write something precise enough to explain
those nuances without introducing new terms which we also would have
different meanings for.  If we have different meanings, then I am
afraid it will actually serve to obviate the original vote and will
serve as a way to work around that vote.  Personally this is
something I don't wish to see happen.

The second point seems reasonable, but do we need a motion to ask the
staff to summarize the content of the input we have received?  If we
do need such a motion to get an analysis of submitted documents,
then, in my opinion, this point is worth voting on.

On the third point, the members of the task force already represent
constituencies, for the most part, and I am sure they are already
taking input into account - difficult not to.  Some may even be
encouraging some of the input, which is also a good thing.  And
though I do think it is good to tell the TF to keep working without
letting themselves be distracted by the sound and fury, but do we
need a motion to do this?  Also, should the TF wait for the staff
summarization requested in bullet 2?  Do we need to give them
guidance on this point?

On the fourth point, of course we will consider the TF's report and I
guess will reconsider any of the definitions or recommendations, but
again I don't see the point in saying something that is true whether
it is said in a motion or left unsaid.

As I say, I don't see the point behind this motion.

thanks

a.