[council] Version 2: Proposed motion regarding Personal Data that is collected and retained by registrars

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 19 12:12:56 UTC 2006

Dear Fellow Councilors

The issues of proxy voting, and several other administrative issues, do
deserve attention, and could be part of the long awaited, long postponed
improvements to the Council, based on the earlier Review.

On the motion itself, I am generally supportive, but note that there are at
least two ambiguities that I would like to get clarified, IN the motion.

My edits are posted below, and are intended to provide clarity.

Thanks, Bruce, for engaging Dan and Denise. Their involvement in
resolutions/motions should become SOP.

Refresh my memory, though, Dan, as the legal advisor. Do we need to withdraw
the present motion and have this as a substitute?

See inserts below in CAPS.

> "The GNSO Council notes that, consistent with generally accepted privacy
> principles, Registrars are required under clause 3.7.7.4 of the
> Registrar Accreditation Agreement to provide notice to each new or
> renewed Registered Name Holder stating:
>
> (i) The purposes for which any Personal Data collected from the
> applicant are intended;
>
> (ii) The intended recipients or categories of recipients of the data
> (including the Registry Operator and others who will receive the data
> from Registry Operator);
>
> (iii) Which data ELEMENTS are obligatory and which data ELEMENTS, if any,
are voluntary;
> and
>
> (iv) How the Registered Name Holder or data subject can access and, if
> necessary, CORRECT OR rectify the data held about them.
>
> To further understand the range of purposes for which data is COLLECTED
AND USED [intended],
> the GNSO proposes the following steps:
>
> (1) The ICANN staff will review a sample of registrar agreements with
> Registered Name Holders to identify some of the purposes for which
> registrars collect Personal Data in the course of registering a domain
> name for their customers.
>
> (2) The ICANN staff will review a REPRESENTATIVE sample of ccTLD registry
or ccTLD
> registrar agreements, TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE ISSUES OF GEOGRAPHICAL
DIVERSITY AND RULE OF LAW VARIANCES, with registrants to identify some of
the purposes