[council] Interpretation of whois purpose

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue Jun 27 16:07:46 UTC 2006

tony.ar.holmes at bt.com wrote:
> Avri
>
> I appreciate you clearly stating what this means for you.
>
> I'm beginning to think it would have been a great help if we'd all written down exactly what we thought the interpretations were before the vote. Maybe then we wouldn't be in this situation!
>
> Unfortunately over the years that the task force has struggled along, positions hardened and as we've seen from recent exchanges on the mailing list even reasoned and rationale dialogue has become difficult. We should all learn from this experience and make sure we don't get in to this situation again.

I struggle with the value of the various interpretations that have been
floated by everyone. Indeed, there will always be differing
interpretations of anything that gets decided on and written down - this
is the very nature of the written word (there are at least four
different interpretations of the word "interpreting" for instance - to
explain, to conceive, to present meaning, to translate, etc...)

I think what we need to focus on is how these words are applied in the
context of the rest of the work. Instead of assessing and analysing the
range of interpretations that might exist (and explaining how we might
agree or disagree with each) let's instead try to come to an agreement
how we collectively have chosen to understand these words and what the
practical implications of that understanding are.

I suppose what I'm saying is that the current focus on the absolute
meaning of Formulation #1 as it relates to Formulation #2 isn't really
high value work. Instead, I think we need to concentrate our effort on
understanding what the implications of Formulation #1 are as it relates
to the work ahead of us. If it turns out that Formulation #1 is too
broad or too restrictive for our purposes (or becomes out of scope, or
irrrelevant, or judicially troublesome) then let's make sure that TF
understands that it needs to communicate these challenges back to us so
that we can provide them with some reasonable guidance.

I don't honestly believe that progress is as hard to come by as some
might think. If the task force and its participants can focus on
developing a shared view as it relates to the work items TOR, then
progress can definitely be made.

Regards,

--

                        -ross rader