[council] Regarding terms of Council members

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Mon Sep 18 13:53:39 UTC 2006

I was first elected to represent my constituency with the GNSO Council
in 2003 and re-elected for a second term in 2005. My final term with the
council expires at the end of the AGM in 2007 at which point I will be
ineligible to stand again under the registrar constituency bylaws. I was
not a councillor on the prior DNSO Council.

Term limits, imho, are an important feature of democratic processes. I
believe that the term related rules laid out by the registrar
constituency (two two-year terms) are a decent and fair model for the
GNSO to adopt as standard process for all council members.

Ute Decker wrote:

> As most of you remember, I was elected at the end of 2005 for a two year
> term.  According to the IPC bylaws I could serve two terms.
>
> I am actutely aware of the complexity of the issues and the time needed
> to get sufficiently up to speed to play an active role, despite the
> excellent support from ICANN staff.  I certainly see the benefit of
> having councillors on board who have completeted their first term and
> see no downside in councillors serving multiple terms, provided they
> present the positions of their constituency based on appropriate
> consultation.
>
> Ute

Regards,

--

                        -ross rader
                         general manager,

Have you checked out the NetIdentity/Nameplanet Weblog?
http://netidentity.weblog.info