[council] Possible roles for GNSO vice chair/s

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Tue Apr 17 08:23:12 UTC 2007

Hello All,

Having been in the role as chair for a while, I can see at least a
couple of vice-chair roles that would help spread the workload:

(1) vice-chair for meetings

- work with staff to schedule the various GNSO related meetings at each
major ICANN meeting, as well as help plan any inter-sessional meetings

(2) vice-chair for operating planning

- work with staff to develop the budget for GNSO related expenses to
feed into ICANN's annual operational plan/budget - e.g travel costs, as
well as work with staff to plan for both staff and GNSO volunteer
resources for various projects (task forces, working groups etc)

- identify projects that provide efficiency improvements (e.g website
updates, new use of collaboration tools,  document management systems
etc)

- maintain a rolling 12 month operational/work plan - ensure we don't
over commit projects to the available resources

Note that in either case the vice chair would work with staff to
essentially prepare documents for review by the Council as a whole, and
publish the relevant material in sufficient time to allow Council
feedback and discussion at a Council meeting.

Note that at various times these roles have existed - but never really
formalised.  Marilyn Cade often assisted in meeting planning, and we did
have a planning committee chaired by Grant Forsyth at one time.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin